Monday, June 21, 2010

Day 12: Recovery

The first time I woke up this morning, I was gripped with panic. I heard a car engine start, and I thought it was garth's, my ride. After refuting that thought, another, equally frightening thought was that Thomas, Garth's brother, and the one operating the car, had to pull forwards to get out,
right through my temporary bed.

Garth woke me up for real at about nine. I sat up slowly, the morning light was bright and gorgeous. Soon, we were driving back towards Thomas and Alice's home. We arrived to find Thomas asleep, the girls chipper and playing, and Alice nursing a hell of a hangover, lying on the couch while trying to supervise the children. I played with the kids while Garth made some tea and toast. Telula, the two-year-old, sported the cutest nutella mustache I've ever seen.

We lazed around most of the morning, shying away from bright lights and loud noises. At about noon, Garth and I headed to his friend's house, about ten minutes away. Jim, whom we met at the party last night, made a lot of money in London with an IT company, sold it, and now lives in France, enjoying himself and raising a family with his wife. They live in the maison de maitre, the largest house in the village, and have been renovating it. They have commissioned Garth to create a light sculpture that will hang in a cut out that spans three floors. After a perfect cup of coffee, and some photos taken of the space, we headed back to Thomas' house, to say goodbye and pick up Cheryl, who had passed out on an extra bed.

We got on the road, headed back home. On the way, we found a huge Sunday flea market, and decided to stop. I've never seen so much crap in one concentrated area. We walked around, stopped for a sausage sandwich, and then continued exploring the junk. I did find a nice little messenger bag, for a whopping two euros.

I fell asleep only minutes after returning to Garth's. It was a deep, beautiful, well needed Sunday afternoon sleep. I woke up around 7:30, helped prepare dinner, and we ate a delicious meal of mashed potatoes, salad, and duck.

After dinner we finished the last "ten minutes" of the SYTYCD episode Garth and Cheryl started before dinner, which lasted almost an hour. We decided against watching a movie, and crawled into bed, enjoying the warmth of the blankets and wood stove instead.

1 comment:

  1. "I've never seen so much crap in a concentrated area."
    I want you to reflect on the Catzen house, specifically the front porch or the kitchen, rethink that statement and then tell me if it is still true.
    If it holds, I simply cannot imagine what that flee market looked like.